When thinking about Voice Over Internet Protocol, also known as VoIP, popular consumer services like Vonage, Skype and Google Voice come to mind. A lot of the businesses today have stop using their landline telephone systems and switched to services commonly known as Hosted Voice Over Internet Protocol, Hosted Private Branch Exchange, Internet Protocol Centrex and Virtual Private Branch Exchange from business voice over internet protocol providers. Although, adding voice over IP to older telephone systems is gaining popularity through Session Initiation Protocol, more commonly knowns as SIP Trunking.
SIP trunking is not only for newer telephone systems that accept is directly but also for older telephone systems. To add SIP trunking to older systems, one can use an integration box to integrate it. Listed below are a few benefits of SIP trunking that any telephone system, new or old, can take advantage of:
- DID, short for Direct Inward Dial, is a telephone number that can ring directly to a department or a desk phone. This number can a private number or a public one that can be published on business cards, the internet and or directories. But to integrate DID in older telephone systems, expensive circuits or phone lines are required. On the other hand, newer telephone systems can support DID with the help of Primary Rate Interface (PRI) circuits. PRIs can be an efficient way of taking advantage of DID but they can also be costly if use for 20 or less telephones. SIP trunks can provide DIDs economically for very small phone systems.
- Back-Up Circuits – For companies that experience heavy traffic in the form of high call volume or are in dire need of a telephone system at all times can deploy SIP trunks as back-up. SIP trunks are an affordable alternative to other back-up options.
- Disaster Recovery – Moreover, SIP trunk providers work through ‘soft’ switches that are comparatively more flexible then the large hardware central switches of large telephone companies. Not only do they provide a diverse cable route for the business but also SIP trunks can re-route calls to other telephone numbers including cell phones. Not only this but they can also process calls through automated attendants and voicemail at their point of presence.
- Unlimited Long Distance – SIP trunk providers provide a wide number of price packages according to different level businesses and requirements. It is easy to find a package that meets your businesses requirements. A lot of the packages present in the market provide unlimited domestic calls within the Continental United States. SIP trunks are a great means for outbound long distance calls as they turn long distance phone bills into flat monthly rates.
- Quickly Re-configure Services to Meet Changing Needs – The ‘soft’ concept of SIP trunks permit’s them to be extremely flexible and meet a changing customer’s needs. They can add or subtract features instantaneously and can also redirect call paths within the hours, in fact all of this is possible without the use of an on-site service technician.
SIP trunk are a valuable addition to any business whether operating on a newer phone system or an old one. These adapt quickly, reduce cost and provide features that are not available through standard telephone line services.